The series logo
The 10th anniversary logo
The 25th anniversary logo
Crash Bandicoot is a multi-million dollar video game series starring Crash Bandicoot as he battles his enemy and creator: the evil Neo Cortex. The Crash Bandicoot series has been a major international success, selling over 160 million in dollars and is the 25th best-selling series as of March 31, 2011 with around 40 million copies sold since its debut in 1996. In September of 2011, the series celebrated its 15th anniversary. On June 13, 2016, it was announced that the first three Crash games would be remastered from the ground up.  The series celebrated its 20th anniversary on September 9th, 2016.
- Crash Bandicoot: The main protagonist of the series. He is a bandicoot who often foils Cortex’s plans. In the earlier games, despite himself not being so strong, he can use Aku Aku to defend himself and also uses the spin attack along with a range of other moves to destroy enemies. In the later games, he is considerably stronger as he can beat up titans using his bare fists and scale certain walls.
- Aku Aku: Once a human, his soul was absorbed inside a mask and now he acts as Crash’s sidekick. He often protects Crash from hazards such as enemies. He also acts as a shield for Crash in the later games. He’s the brother of Uka Uka.
- Doctor Neo Cortex: The main antagonist of the series. He is an evil scientist with a passion for mutating animals to create an army. Crash often foils his diabolical plans. However, Cortex has made many attempts to kill the bandicoot, but has always failed.
- Coco Bandicoot: Crash’s smarter, younger sister. She is very good with technology and has created numerous inventions to help Crash and Aku Aku out on their adventures. She is the only female major protagonist. She is also good at fighting.
- Uka Uka: Like Aku Aku, he was human until his soul was absorbed into his mask. He was then imprisoned by Aku Aku and the Ancients before meeting and teaming up with Cortex. He acts as the secondary antagonist.
- Crunch Bandicoot: A super-warrior of unbelievable strength, he was initially created to be General of the Cortex Commandos after Crash defied Cortex. However, Crash freed Crunch and the Super-Bandicoot defected to the good side.
Gameplay in most of the Crash Bandicoot games is that of a 3D platformer game. The player controls Crash and navigates obstacles like deep holes in the ground, moving platforms, enemies, and more. Crash’s main form of attack is usually either a jump or a spin that can break crates and defeat most enemies. Some of the common collectibles in the games include crystals, gems and wumpa fruit. Collecting 100 wumpa fruit earned the player an extra life. In certain sequences, the player would experience different challenges, such as 2D-based platforming, escaping a giant boulder or having to ride a tiger or a polar bear to navigate through a level. In some instances, the player also took control of Coco, Crunch, Cortex, and Nina.
In some multiplayer or party-style games, such as Crash Team Racing or Crash Nitro Kart, the main gameplay is racing-based or in other games, such as Crash Bash, consists of minigames for multiple players to enjoy in short sessions.
Fifth generation (1996 – 2000)
Sixth generation (2001 – 2004)
Sixth/Seventh generation (2005 – 2008)
*Also ported to PlayStation Portable.
Eighth generation (2017 – )
*Also released for Steam.
Fifth/Sixth generation (1998)
Sixth/Seventh generation (2002 – 2008)
Manga and Comics
Artbooks and Sourcebooks
Crash Bandicoot Series Games